Wednesday, September 17, 2008

First Day of School

The arrival of September was something I was not looking forward to! For months I've been flip-flopping about what school I should send Kyle to. Italians send 4 yr olds (and even younger) full days Monday through Friday. I was SO NOT ready to see my 4 yr old off for full days everyday! I struggled for weeks with this - OK maybe I still question my decision! How could I take Kyle away from his little sister (and me!) although I know he needs the social interaction? But how could I deny him the opportunity to attend a school where he could learn Italian (This is an international school but the language of instruction is Italian.) and be exposed to so much of the Italian culture. So I did it! I enrolled him into Kindergarten (yes that's what 4 yr olds are in here!). I was dreading the first day, so sure I'd find myself in the car in the corner of the school parking lot with tears streaming down my face! But in the end it went VERY well!

The first week was half days and that very first day I pulled into the parking lot and, with Kyle looking so adorable in his uniform, by the time I had Vika out of her carseat Kyle was already in the school! He was thrilled to be going to his new school! (And I didn't shed a tear!) The second day when I went to pick him up he told me that I should "just come back later". When I told him the school wasn't open for the afternoon he almost cried!

Our biggest challenge has come from Vika who SCREAMS everytime Kyle leaves us and goes into his classroom. After two weeks of school she still does this! Hmmm, they do have an infant section...maybe I should just leave her at school too! ;)

No comments: